Followers

Sunday, November 25, 2007


For far too long now poetry has been in the hands of a privileged few, made up of intellectuals, academics and middle class liberal bohemians, who with exception of a small minority have sold out to the literary establishment, which brings with it all the coercion and compromise that you'd expect from a corrupt patriarchal institution. The poets who choose to use their words as a weapon against the dominant ideology, are marginalised and ridiculed for not writing 'real' poetry.
You won't find these voices of dissent being studied in schools and universities, you won't find them on the shelves of corporate book shops or in the coffeehouses of the bourgeois , who seek to promote competition rather than cooperation. You'll find them in the raging of the ocean, the howling of the wind, in the eyes of the hungry, in the hands of the oppressed, in the arms of lovers and friends, in the screams from every slaughterhouse in the world.
Poetry like any other creative form of communication seeks to show the beauty that is being killed within us and hopefully show us a glimpse of what is still possible.

I am flesh, blood and bone
I am at the same time
both strong and fragile
I have words to share
I trust you enough
to understand my position
The poets who are honest and sincere
I salute you
To the fakes and collaborators
I hold on to my bitterness
for a more appropriate moment

3 comments:

jonasen said...

thank you for this.

Anonymous said...

You're a bitter egotist and your poetry is bad. Your self entitlement is truly vomit inducing. You don't know what inequality is, to be raped, murdered or deported to concentration camps because of your language or religion. That is what your anarchist heros did to people. I have the stories of my elders, children who were raped or witnessed their parents heads explode in front of them. You fucking pretentious, comfortable, whiners no nothing of such a reality. Your barbed wire fence is a fantasy. You can't face up to the fact that you FAILED intellectually and socially and so you lash out like an adolescent against his parents.

I'll see you around, fucker.

joe roivas said...

The reason I responded the way I did to your first comments is because I wanted you to know what it felt like to be verbally abused by a total stranger who has no idea of your background and history, doesn't feel too good, eh? So your response was to come back with more insults, with some rational augments as well. So now I guess I should strike back with more harsher insults and put downs to make myself feel superior, but i'm not going to do that.
Instead I would genuinely like to hear more about the hidden history of anarchist atrocities, are there any books or websites that you recommend, I agree if there is a secret history then it should be exposed. Just for the record I never call myself an Anarchist, anarchism has some good ideas and some bad ones and as for my heroes they range from my Grandmother to William Blake. Yes I am bitter, bitter that we as human beings have squandered so much of our potential and creativity on abuse and destruction, bitter at the political and economic systems that keep people divided. Bitter that I don't write better poems, yeah why not but I do the best I can. "I'll see you around fucker" I hope that doesn't mean that you are some kind of an psycho internet stalker, I don't need one of those in my life right now. i hope this can open up some real talk, instead of more abuse.