Followers

Thursday, June 02, 2005

The fall

The splinter in my hand, which I got from gripping the chair at the onset of my dizzy spell, was painful and annoying. It kept catching on things, my clothes, the towel mainly. I felt marginally better this morning, when I'd pulled the curtains back to let in the brightest sun that had been seen in a couple of weeks. I told people that I preferred bleaker, more overcast weather, because it matched my predominant mood. This wasn't completely true, for today I was aware of an ancient significance, the pulse of a new emotion. The sun was out and I had 5 grand in a shoe box under my bed; if there was ever a time to break my own mythic creations, it had to be this day.
The sweet smell of pine wafted into my room. Anneth would collect the semi-crystallized sap from the trees in the park at the back of the house, she spent a lot of time there. I had seen her once with her small wooden altar decorated with stones, feathers, shells, jewelry and other tokens. I'd gone the long way round. "Don't want to make her feel embarrassed" I'd thought to myself. Now as I stood in my room, my mind somewhere in the pure beauty of the forest, I wondered if it hadn't been my own embarrassment that I'd wanted to avoid; the fact that I didn't have a spiritual aspect in my life, hadn't even investigated the possibilities.

No comments: