Followers

Friday, June 09, 2006

WORLD CUP 2006


Someone once said that football is "the opera of the people" and at it's best I think that is right, the colour, the spectacle, the drama, pathos, heroism against seemingly insurmountable odds, a narrative that appeals to our sense of mythology. At it's worst it's an outlet for violent xenophobic mindless tribalism, huge sums of money spent on the world cup could go towards immediate social problems, I could carry on with a lengthy list as to why it's bad......I was talking to a friend about all this on the phone yesterday, she said you don't have to justify it to me, no that's true, but sometimes I need to justify it to myself....I'm aware that it's a contradiction and to live in a post-modern world is to live with contradictions. I would love to see Trinidad and Tobago beat England. Thanks Jack for the found photo.

No comments: