Followers

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Distillation of notebook two (1984)

I think it was Oliver Cromwell who remarked; after the massacre of an entire Irish village by British soldiers under his command, a high percentage of those being children- "If we kill the nits we won't have to deal with the lice"-
I'm sitting in a pub in Cork, afraid and ashamed to open my mouth, fearing that my accent will leave a foul stench in the air. I hate it, I hate it all. The clinking of glasses at the cricket match on Ladies Day, in the special members stand. I hate being British.-

Now it is over 20 years later, and I intend to post the complete contents of the note book I kept in 1984,(all notebook entries will appear in italics) mainly to see who I was back then and if I have changed much, I want to cross-examine my opinions and belief systems. Well, I've come to terms with the fact that I'm British...can't really change that.... I distance myself from what has been done(and continues to be done) in the name of the British people by the monarchies and the governments of that land. I identify with a historical tradition of resistance to these policies, they are my people and I am proud to stand with them.

No comments: