Followers

Sunday, March 06, 2005

A novel without points: Return of a freak body.

Freak body is a scientist who is a politician, who holds poetry back- so it leaves things as they are.
This gas animal surrounding electric fires, broken trust is all it offers. Trust is disposed of because we are all potential abusers. It's a well worn variation on a familiar theme.
The heart is false that beats at home. And the man at the cross-roads respects the woman's 'primitive' wanting. Did she call out in the army lights, she the origin of man, legs muddied, face coloured, dragged to her back, while a leader of men proves he's complete. And there is nothing interesting about the masonry figures that watch from the wood's, as he does his precise work.
She is found at the side of the road. The poisonous clamor of hypocrisy condensing into mercy is the bird song that I hear.

This has to do with a story I read in the newspaper about a woman who was raped by an American soldier, I can't remember in which country it was now, somewhere in the South pacific perhaps. Has my attitude towards rape changed? ....Well I think my understanding has become more developed, mainly from listening to close female friends talk about their experiences.
Twenty years ago my involvement in sexual politics had more to do with my desire to please the feminist women in my life, more than the desire to change the conditions of my male identity within this culture. That has certainly changed, I feel more comfortable as a man, because somewhere along the line I realized that identity was not a fixed thing, and that I could start behaving differently if I chose to. What I wonder now is have I stopped seeking change in my life? Do you reach a certain age when confronting yourself becomes harder to do- the act of thinking against yourself-?

No comments: